institutional

DAV Conference Room

Washington, DC

Encore redesigned the space to increase the seating capacity of the room, provide better wheelchair access and modernize the 40 year old space.  The shape of the ceiling was designed to be symbolic of all of the armed forces – wings for the Air Force, a tent for the Army, and a boat for the Navy and Marines.  

The previous conference room was a circular shape that did not accommodate persons in wheelchairs very easily. The new room is an elongated pentagon with plenty of maneuvering space around custom tables that can be rearranged for multiple seating groups. Accessibility is also increased by glass doors. The main doors into the room are glass doors on pivot hinges, providing easy access for whichever direction someone is traveling. The glass doors are frosted with the DAV logo and provide a sense of privacy without sacrificing safety.

Photos by Ron Ceasar

Menokin

Warsaw, VA

Menokin was the home of Francis Lightfoot Lee, a Signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his wife, Rebecca Taylor Lee of Mount Airy Plantation. The house was built in 1769 on land once inhabited by the Rappahannock Tribe. In 1971 it was designated a National Historic Landmark for its significance as the home of a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Menokin Foundation was formed to preserve, protect and interpret this important structure.

The Menokin Foundation is embarking on a revolutionary re-imagining of this historic structure. The Menokin Foundation hopes to transform this house and 500-acre classroom into an educational and environmental experience like no other. Structural glass will be used to recreate an abstract memory of an 18th-century house as it once stood while protecting what remains of it today.

Encore is serving as the Preservation Architect on this project team and leading the efforts to document, stabilize, and repair the existing ruin in preparation to receive the glass enclosure.

The full project team is led by the architecture firm Machado Silvetti and also includes John Fidler Preservation Technology, Robert Silman Associates, Reed Hilderbrand LLC, Eckersley O'Callaghan, WSP Flack + Kurtz, Tillotson Design Associates, Barker Langham, and Faithful + Gould.

Pagoda

Washington, D.C.

The Pagoda was constructed in 1904 as a sorority house for the National Park Seminary. We completed a Historic Structure Report identifying solutions for ground settlement, masonry cracking, deteriorated finishes and failed roofing. A Complete exterior restoration included restoration of original colors, soffit materials and roofing.

Received the American Institute of Architects- DC Chapter Award of Merit for Historic Resources.