Dr. Horace Willson House

Encore-Architects-Horace-Willson-House-Pre-Move

The historic Dr. Horace Wilson House is important for its associations with many of Clarksburg, Maryland’s leading citizens during the 19th century. Dr. Willson purchased the property in 1821 and expanded the building to a one and a half story dwelling and medical office around 1840. Dr. Willson served in both the Maryland House of Delegates and Senate in the 19th century.

Encore Sustainable Architects serves as the lead architect on the project, which involves moving, preservation and Alternative Reuse plans for the structure. Due to the proximity of the building to the Clarksburg Square Road Extension that will connect to Frederick Road, the house needed to be moved approximately 70 feet to the south to preserve it.  Watch the move in action below.  The reuse plans –for a beer and wine store– have now been drafted. The original structure was built as a log home, and the plans include removing the interior ceiling and walls to feature the natural and historic beauty of those logs. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2020.

Dr. Horace Willson House Project Team

Owner: Aries Investment Group

Developer: 3rd Try, LLC

Construction Manager: Montgomery County Department of Transportation

Civil Engineer: Gutschick, Little & Weber PC

Architect: Encore Sustainable Architects, LLC

Structural Engineer: Linton Engineering, LLC

Contractor: Nastos Construction, Inc.

House Moving Contractor: Expert House Movers